Friday, October 10, 2008

Haunted Houses

If your a mom that doesn't like a mess, then this is defiently not the craft for you!! Messy, Messy, Messy, but so much Fun! I originally got this idea from Make and Takes.

I spent only about $3.50 for this activity. I bought a bag of M&M's and a bag of Brach's Autumn mix candy. Everything else I had at home.
My 3-year-old had more fun doing this than my 6-year-old. He was singing Jingle Bells the whole time that we were making it. He keeps calling it his Jingle House! We have only made gingerbread houses at Christmas. This was our first Haunted House.
What you need ~ Candy, graham crackers, something for a base. We cut up a box and covered it with tinfoil.

Haunted House Frosting

2 eggs whites
1 pound Powder sugar
½ tsp. cream of tartar

Beat egg whites until stiff and add tartar and mix. Then add powder sugar and mix until creamy and stiff. Put in plastic baggies and cut the tip of the bag at the bottom corner to create a frosting bag. You can add food coloring to your frosting to add a little bit more coler. Remember not to eat this frosting. It is for decorating only! Probably wouldn't hurt ya, but better safe than sorry!

My 6-year-old was excited for our after holiday's tradition. We usually take our gingerbread houses out and use them for target practice on New Years Day. That was the first thing he asked when I told him we were making these. I'd imagine so!!!

2 comments:

Dover Fam said...

So much fun!!!! Would regular frosting work if you have kiddos that can't keep their frosting fingers out of their mouths??? :)

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

Those turned out so cute! Make and Takes has the best ideas. We are going to do it this weekend with my kids and I'm so excited. Thanks for coming by my blog for brownie week!