Monday, September 1, 2008

Cake in a Mug

I orignally got this idea off a blog called Chasing Cheerios. My boys love to bake so I thought we'd give it a try. It was an interesting experience.
You need:
a mug, 4 tbs of sugar, 4 tbs of flour,
2 tbs of cocoa, 3 tbs of milk, 3 tbs of oil,
1 egg.

Combine the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and mix WELL. (I had to help with this, because there were huge clups of flour in the bottem of both cups) Put your mug of cake mix in the microwave, and cook it for 3 minutes.


Well, here is J.D. taking his cake out of the mug. I didn't take a final picture, because honestly it wasn't pretty! This was one of those projects that didn't work very well. Tyson wouldn't even touch it, but that didn't suprise me. J.D. did atleast try his, but it was extremly bitter. I tried it to and it was not good. Way to much cocoa for the amount of sugar the recipe called for. Also the cake was extremely spongey! I think it was just to much egg for such a little bit of cake mix.

However, it was pretty cool to watch cook in the microwave. We had filled the mug about halfway and at about 1 minute left the cake was actually floating in the cup and we could see it above the brim of the mug.
I was curious to as if this would work with a regular cake mix. So we mixed up one and tried it.

This was what we got when we made up a regular old cake mix. Sorry about the dirty spoon, I just barely realized it was in the picture. Anyway, the spoon means that J.D. was eating it. It turned out really good with the regular mix. This would be a great project if you needed to make a cake for, oh say Relief Society, and you let the kids use 1/2 cup of batter to make themselves a yummy little treat.

Would I try this agian? Yes, but I would do a cake recipe I trusted or I would use a cake mix. I wasn't going to even post this, but hey were keeping it real here at the Doty house and we know that not every project works out. But I think being willing to experiment must be worth something, right?

2 comments:

Kris said...

I think I will try this for an FHE treat!!!!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

I have wanted to try this recipe for forever. I'm glad to have your take on it! I will definitely use a cake mix instead of the recipe that goes with it!