Monday, September 29, 2008

Artichokes with Lemon-Butter Sauce

Artichokes are a favorite at my house and recently they have been on sale for 10 for 10! It never fails when I am at the store picking some out, somebody will ask me how I cook them. Such a great deal and I have been having them for lunch. We all fight for the heart of the artichoke. Actually when I was pregnant with Mia I craved them more than normal (which is alot) and the kids were home for Christmas Break. I opened the fridge and saw I only had one artichoke. I thought to myself, "HMMMM. How can I sneak this past Logan and BayLee." They take 45 minutes to cook so I had it cooking and trying to keep them busy so they don't notice. YES I was having a selfish moment. So it was finally done! I snuk past them and went into my room (FOOD IN THE ROOM MAJOR NO NO!) and quietly shut my door and locked it. I was successful UNTIL BayLee went into the kitchen and looked into the pan that was sitting on the stove and all of a sudden I hear "LOGAN MOM HAD AN ARTICHOKE!! I SEE GREEN WATER". Sure enough it was just in time for the heart so I ended up sharing the best part of the dang thing!!!!! I just had to share that story. We love artichokes.

Fill pan with water. Cut stem off of Artichoke right up to the base of it. Place in pan with water. Bring to boil. Boil for 30-40 minutes until leaves can easily be pulled off.
Melt 1/4 margarine for each artichoke and add 1/2 lemon juice for each artichoke.
Once Artichoke is finished pull leaf off one by one,dip into sauce, and scrape the "meat" with your teeth. Once the leaves get way to small (you will know what I mean) cut below the leaves right on top of the base. This is the heart. Make sure you get the fuzzy part off too (forget to tell people that and they end up eating it).
BEST PART!!!! Cut up heart in bitesize pieces and dip them in the butter sauce and SAVOR the moment. Good stuff.

3 comments:

Doty Family said...

Note from Brandy ~ If you eat the fuzzy stuff, it's super bitter and you will choke and know that you have not found the heart of the artichoke. Know from personal experience.

Vanessa said...

mm mmm mmm artichokes are one of my fav things to eat and serve

Vanessa from inevergrewup.net

Unknown said...

Mandee you have me craving artichokes!!! Where are they on sale I am getting some tomorrow!!!