Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm A Super Hero

This is a story about one of the greatest people I have ever known. This little boy, Daxton Wilde, is a second cousin of mine but he was like a nephew. He was diagnosed about 8 years ago,when he was only FOUR YEARS OLD, with brain cancer and passed away only a few months after being diagnosed. He had a very rare form of the disease. When the tumor was found it was the size of a pear at the base of his brain. Eventually it wrapped itself around his spinal cord. They think he was probably born with it. But while he was going through the ordeal him and his mom (who is the greatest cousin ever) wrote this wonderful book to help children that are affected by this awful disease.

This book portrays cancer as a "bad guy" and the Good guy is "Captain Chemo", and the SuperHero is Daxton. It tells of his experience through his eyes to help other children through their fear. He illustrated it himself and his mother helped him write it.
He was such a sweet little boy and I still think about him often. He had such a special spirit about him his whole life and it is still felt.

If you are interested in this book I know it is on Amazon. It is a great book and I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago for no reason and thought I needed to post about this book. I don't know why but maybe someone needed to hear about it. Here is the link for this book.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Thanks. Daxton was such a cute kid. I think of him occasionally too. You have the book right? I want to read it. I don't think I ever did.