Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Call Me The Doughnut Lady

You'd of thought my kids had died and gone to Heaven, tonight!! It is a little known fact that when I was a little girl, my mom and dad operated a doughnut shop! I have memories of being in the shop pretending to be a waitress and of warm and yummy smells!!! Then my dad had a midlife crisis and wanted to become a farmer!! Still trying to figure that one out, but anyway, I lvoe doughnuts and have been wanting to try this recipe for awhile now, so we did it. And it was GOOD!!!



Brigham’s Buttermilk Doughnuts


2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs beaten
5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ cup melted butter

Combine buttermilk, eggs, and sugar and mix well. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together into a large mixing bowl. Stir in buttermilk mixture, then melted butter. Roll dough out about ¼ inch thick on floured board; cut with doughnut cutter. Fry in hot oil till golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle or roll in sugar. Makes 2 dozen doughnuts.


Okay, so a few adjustments. I didn't have nutmeg so we used cinnamon. I used buttermilk powder in place of actual buttermilk. 6 tsp. buttermilk powder and 2 cups water. I used ALOT more flour than what it called for. I kept adding and adding, because the dough was so STICKY! Anyway, don't believe the 2 dozen part, because it made oodles of doughnuts. and doughnut holes. I lost track of how many because I, I mean we were too absorbed in eating them as they came out all nice and warm!! We rolled ours in Cinnamon/Vanilla Sugar from Alison's Pantry.


I have 2 huge ziploc baggies full of doughnuts to go to work with my hubby tomorrow. He was in watching the Biggest Loser and calling for me to come watch, "just a minute, babe," I'd say as I covertly placed another doughnut hole in my mouth. Yeah right, like I want to watch the Biggest Loser while I eat my deep fried and oh so satisfying treat!!!! Anyway, they really are yummy and I have to send them away or I might just eat 2 bags of doughnuts.


Enough, tell me to stop typing. I know your busy and you have things to do! So go and do and have a GREAT day. And remember to make these because they are YUMMY!

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I think I will have to try those, yum!

Kritta22 said...

You should have a giveaway of your doughnuts and just send them to me!!!!