Monday, March 9, 2009

Hawaiian Haystacks

** Mandee is still in Disneyland, lucky girl! So Mandee's Monday Menu will not be posted this week! Sorry!! Instead you get one of my favorite recipes.**

I have to admit, that I feel silly even posting this recipe. Doesn't everyone know what a Hawaiian haystack is? I actually had 2 friends, who did not know what they were, until we made them one day for a lunch party at work. So maybe, someone out there needs to know what a Hawaiian haystack is. It is one of my families favorite meals.

Cook enough rice to feed your family. I usually like to do enough that I can have rice for breakfast. Warm it up with a little bit of butter, add some cinnamon and sugar and milk! Oh, it is delicious for breakfast or even as a dessert.

Sauce:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream (to taste)
1 cup chicken broth (add more if you want a thinner sauce, less for thicker)
1 & 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
salt and pepper to taste (I also use garlic powder and dehydrated onions.)

Mix all together until warm. Serve over the top of rice.

Toppings:

Pineapple
Mandarin Oranges
Tomatoes
grated cheese
Chow Mien Noodles
diced green peppers
diced green onions
olives

I think everyone who makes this has their own recipe for the sauce and their own toppings that they like. This is how my family likes it. I made this for dinner on Saturday and fed a small army of children and one very hungry brother-in-law and I doubled the recipe and it was all gone. It's a great meal to use if you have to feed a lot of people. We do it for church functions a lot. It's cheap and easy!

4 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I knew what Hawaiian Haystacks were, but my recipe for the sauce was yukky, thanks so much for posting this!

Unknown said...

We've had them in our family, but I couldn't remember all of the standard toppings. Google gets you there! Your sauce/gravy is different than what we've used, so maybe we'll give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I want some ideas on how to do the haystacks with BBQed Pork. So if you have any idea's please post them. I'd love to see them

Sarah said...

I just had a craving for these and I have never made them so I googled it and found you. Your recipe seems to be the most standard and easy so thanks for posting it. You never know who will be looking for it. Thank You!