Saturday, April 17, 2010

DI Frame Extreme Makeover

This was pretty simple. I love this frame. I found at DI for $3.00.

I wasn't really digging the Avocado picture. So I popped out the canvas. Attempted to find some glass to fill in the frame. Which took me months, mind you. I eventually had my husband cut some down with this teeny tiny glass cutter we have.

I originally wanted to leave the frame white, because I thought it had a tone of character, but in the meantime I rearranged my living room and the white frame, just wasn't working for where I wanted it. So I sanded it down a bit, painted black over the top of it and then sanded it down to give it a vintage look.

I used some E-6000 (Walmart craft section), which is an industrial strength glue, to glue the glass into the frame. I had purchased my vinyl from Scribble It months ago and when it was all ready, simply laid the vinyl on and here is the finished product.
I am in love with it! I know the vinyl is on a bit crooked, my hubby reminds me often, but it has a lot of character. I am making something similar, but on a much larger scale from a sister-in-law. I love refurbishing DI treasures!
Take some time to go and check out Scribble It. I have bought vinyl from Cammi several times and have alway's been happy with it. I love, love, love the metal nativity, which I bought this past year! It's a great sight with lot's of fun ideas!


4 comments:

Kellie said...

What a cute idea...I love it! I know that Home Depot and I think Lowes will cut the glass for you and it used to be free (we did buy the glass from them), but that was about 6 years ago...just an FYI!

~L~ said...

very cute idea!

Nicholette said...

Wow, I love a good DI find, especially when you make it fabulous like you did! Thanks for linking up to Saturday Spotlights!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Super cute! Love the makeover! although, that was one sexy avocado.... lol jk Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous party! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
Linda