Friday, May 22, 2009

The BFG Book Review

First of all I just have to say how much I love Roald Dahl. He is such an amazing author and it was so hard to choose just one book to review that he has written. From Charlie and The Chocolate Factory to James and the Giant Peach. He is one of those authors that carry from generation to generation.

My son who is in fifth grade has read two of his stories this year. At the beginning of the year we read The BFG together and I laughed so hard through the whole book. In school they have a breakfast book club and he just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I must say that The BFG was way more entertaining to me. I hope some day they do a movie.

The BFG was hard at first to get into because of the poor English that is used. But hello, what giant would speak correct English anyway? The title is short for Big Friendly Giant-and man is he friendly. He captures a little girl named Sophie and he tells her all about the Giants and he tells her that if the giants see her then they will eat her. She stays in his pocket to be safe.

Sophie is an orphan and the BFG takes her and tells her that it is his job to deliver pleasant dreams to little orphans. Sophie ends up getting the Queen on her side and together Sophie, The BFG, and the Queen end up defeating the mean giants.

This is a book that I looked forward to reading each night with my son. It was humorous and very good for any child's imagination. I definitely recommend it.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Our entire 3rd Grade is having a Roald Dahl Celebration next week. It is one of those over the top events that has been planned for months and month. LOts of work for the moms, but oh so fun.

Haylee said...

I love this book too!!! I read it to my 3rd graders every year!!! It is one of my favorites!!!