Friday, December 19, 2008

Some of my Favorite Holiday Decorations

What to post, what to post? I thought it would be fun to share with you a few of my favorite holiday decorations and why I love them so much.

What would Christmas be without a nutcracker? I got this one last year on clearance. He is so much fun. He plays music and his leg and head move. We try to go to the Nutcracker every year, as our cute little neighbor is in it. We didn't make it this year and that was sad, but sometimes life gets in the way.
I have a ton of nativities. I love them. I love how each one is different, but each depicts the same glorious event. I have 7 of them and every year since I have been married I have tried to buy a new one. I also have several pictures set up in beautiful frames. I think that they are beautiful. I think being a mother makes you appreciate the beauty of the scene even more. I love depictions of the Christ Child and the way that His mother, Mary holds him so tenderly and looks at him with so much amazement. Had He been a child of normal birth, she would have still loved Him and looked at Him with the same adoration, because she was His mother. Don't we all look at our children that way?
All the stockings you will find, hanging in a row... This was a gift the 2nd Christmas that Josh and I were married. His mother gave it to us and it is something that he had from his childhood. She made it when she first was married and it has their last name across the top. Being that Josh is their only son, we got it. We do have a wood burning stove, but no mantle. The two Burgundy stockings that are kind of hiding are also favorites of mine. Those were a wedding present. They are crocheted and they are so alike, yet each one is unique. Beautiful addition to our holiday memories.
I love Snowmen! Although I have oodles of Snowmen decor, this is one of my favorites. Another D.I. treasure.

This is probably my very favorite holiday decoration, other than my new picture! I picked this up at a yard sale several years ago. I paid $20.00 for it, which is way more than I would normally spend. I had to have it, though. So cute!! It's made out of fence material. Someday, when I have time, I want to mass produce them for my family present. Already have something planned for next year, so it will have to be Christmas 2010.

I love the word Believe! It can imply to holiday spirit, Santa Clause, and also the birth of the Savior. Believe in what you will!!! I love the Polar Express, because of the theme and the idea that it passes onto our children. BELIEVE in the magic of Santa, believe in the unseen, believe in friendship, believe in others, believe in yourself!!

Have a great weekend everyone! We'll be back next week!!

4 comments:

Kellie said...

Those are such fun holiday decorations! I think I like the stocking holder the most...we have no fireplace, no mantle and I still don't have our stokings hung because I don't know where to put them...I will be making one of these soon.

And if you ever run out of family members, I would be happy to take their family present for them ;) haha!!!

Unknown said...

You have a lot of fun decor. I love that you collect a nativity every year and I love the picture. Beautiful!!

Vanessa said...

Adorable!

vanessa from inevergrewup.net

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

You know, I really liked this post. I felt like I was taking a casual tour with you and it was fun. I love Polar Express too, my favorite line "...it is a symbol of Christmas, as am I" or atleast something like that! The Hot Chocolate song is a favorite too, my girls always yell "MOM your song is on!" I also love that you already have a plan for next years gifts! Ha ha! Annnd, I collect a nativity each year too. I love your decrotions and the sentiments.

Oh and I thought of you today as I was making Alison's Pantry Sweet Rolls! They were so good!