Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm Not a Maid, Object Lesson

Monday brought me to a place that I hate to go. I had reached the end of my rope. I was yelling at my kids and almost to the point of tears. I was tired of cleaning my house, only to find more mess in each room and none of it my own.

We were supposed to take our kids to a movie for family home evening, but I didn't want to go. I was just frustrated. Anyone else have those days. I was trying to decided what to do, when an idea popped into my head.

I had my boys go and clean their room. Vacuum, put clothes away, and toy's too. They did a good job. That is the picture below.

Then I had them go outside and jump on the trampoline. And while they did that, I dumped out every toy in their room. I dumped out their dirty clothes and all of their shoes. Literally made a huge mess, everywhere!! It was liberating and stress relieving!
And then I closed the door and we ran to the store, fixed dinner and then I heard J.D. yelling at me from his room. He was so upset that his room was trashed. He was trying to figure out who had messed it up. Never guessing of course that it was me.

I told him, that I had done this to his room and he was so ticked. Then I asked him, "How does it make you feel?" Of course he said mad, and I said, "Well, how do you think I feel every time you and your brother make a huge mess and leave it for me to clean?"
I think the idea hit home. My husband and I helped them clean it up and we went through everything, throwing away broken toys and getting a bag full of DI stuff. It was awesome!
Then yesterday morning, my nephews came over and I hear Tyson in the back room, "Don't get out any toys or my mom will throw them away!" I think it may have sunk in!!

6 comments:

jillybean's world said...

awesome!

Kellie said...

AWESOME! What a great idea!!!!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Oh my....I think I may have to try this one with my kids!! Thanks for the great idea!!

April J. said...

I can't remember how I stumbled into your blog but man that is a fantastic idea!!!!

Maggie said...

Ha Ha Ha, that is the best thing I have heard in so long, I had to read it out loud to Eric and he laughed too!! You are such a great mom!!

~ Stacie ~ said...

LOVE IT!